After the end of Champions Leagu, Dhoni talked about retaining the same players as much as possible. At that point of time, I believed it was emotions talking. Personally I thought that the team would bid for the players but may not be aggressive on the players. So CSK Strategy at auction 1 has been a complete surprise to me. And the fact that they had locked up 10 Million worth of players at 4.5 Million dollars also really helped in this.
1. Ashwin: Retaining Ashwin for 850K is actually a value buy. Fact that the team was ready to bid for 2 Million USD showed his real value
2. Saha: A Good Indian wicketkeeper, who played a test match as a batsman [:-)] is always good. Price of 100K makes him a very good buy and a cover/insurance for Dhoni.
3. Dwayne Bravo: This had to be the steal of the auction. A Quality all-rounder for 200k. Am i dreaming??
4. Hussey: For a quality batsman who can play anywhere in the line-up, he is a quality buy @ 425K.
1. Badrinath: By his current T20 batting potential, Chennai Super Kings has overpaid him by at least 300K. Hope I am sure that CSK management is seeing something that I am missing
2. Bollinger: Somehow can't accept 700k we paid him. (Considering that Zaheer got paid only 900K). Only reason could be that his attitude has attracted CSK Team and they are confident he would be back to his best of form sooner than later.
1. Murali: Considering that Vettori went for 550k, Murali is grossly overpaid at 1.1 Million. Good that Chennai Super Kings did have the sense to stop bidding.
2. Homework: It showed clearly Chennai Super Kings have done their homework before coming to the auction. They know how much to bid for the players they want and did not think twice if they thought that price is more than their budget.
1. Jacobs: I would have like Chennai Super Kings to have gone aggressive on David Jacobs. At 190K, Mumbai Indians made a great bargain buy. His single purchase made MI team strategy look better. His batting skills is alone worth 300k.
1. Kochi: Their only strategy was to bid for players we want and drive up prices for us. Pushed us to buy Badri @ 850K.
Strategy for Tomorrow:
1. Opener: We still need to buy an attack-minded opener.
2. Foreign Seamer: Need 1 Indian and 1 Foreign Bowler(Parnell/Theron)
3. Spinner: Need 1 more spinner.
Priority tomorrow would be the foreign bowler and a young aggressive batsman. Hope CSK already have players shortlisted for that.
Awaiting another nerve-wracking day of auction.