Only 6 more days to see Chennai Super Kings on the field. The team would be opening the campaign with a match against New Zealand Champions - Central Stags. Considering hard & bouncy South African pitches, priorities of team selection vary from selection @ India.
My Pick - XI
1. Hayden - Though he failed in IPL3 and has not played a competitive game for the last 3 months, he is the best choice to open CSK Innings in South African pitches. Expecting to see a little mongoose magic.
2. Vijay - South African pitches are bound to test him. And Fleming would be tempted to play experienced Parthiv ahead of him.
3. Raina - Expect all the teams to test him with short balls. Would be Interesting to see his reaction and his strategy.
4. Hussey - In my opinion, the most crucial batsman in the line-up. His innings would be crucial in low-scoring games.
5. Albie - Most crucial player in the line-up. If he is not in the best of the form, we can forget winning champions league this time
6. Dhoni - Hopefully, he would stick to No:6 and uses himself mostly as a pinch-hitter.
7. Badri - Might become crucial in low scoring games
8. Ashwin - Would be leading the spin attack for the team. Considering the pitches, picking Murali might not be a wise decision
9. Shadab Jakati/Thushara - Based on the pitches, it would be wise to pick Jakati or Thushara
10. Balaji - I am sure South African pitches would be aiding him more than Indian pitches. Weakest link in the line-up. If he is not performing, the team would be forced to pick Thushara ahead of either Hayden or Hussey.
11. Dougie - Entire Expectations of the bowling unit rests solely on him. Would be interesting to see whether his performances can convince the team management to retain him.
Knowing Fleming & Dhoni, they might be inclined to pick Parthiv as a opener and may pick Thushara as a fifth bowler and choose not to pick Hussey/Hayden and Shadab Jakati/Joginder
P.S: To know the 15 player squad, please visit Chennai Super Kings CLT20 Squad.