New IPL League Format
With the addition of 2 more teams, IPL Governing council was forced either to increase the total games to 94 or reduce the number of league games per team. Rather than picking one of these choices, the governing council went for a compromise and picked a rather idiotic and a confusing option.
How does new IPL League format works?
- 10 Teams are divided into 2 groups - Group A & Group B - Each group with five teams
- Each Team plays 14 games in the league stage
- Each team in a group plays 2 games - home & away - against other teams in the group
- So each team plays 8 games against their group members
- Also each team in a group plays 2 games - home & away - against one of the teams in the other group
- This is decided randomly. So each team plays 2 games against a randomly picked member from other group
- Also each team plays other teams in the other group once.
- It can be home or away. So each team plays 4 games likewise - making a total of 14 games
- Based on the league stage, all the teams are ranked in a single table. (Confusing??? What is the reason for then dividing to 2 groups???)
- 3rd and 4th ranked team in the table play against each other for a place in the semifinals
- 1st and 2nd ranked team play against each other for a direct entry to the finals.
- Loser of the match between 1st and 2nd plays the winner of 3rd and 4th for a place on the finals.. (Who came up with this?)
A format that truly gives a new meaning to the word "Knockout stage". Surely none other than IPL bosses can come up with such a foolish system.